We Were Never Married, But Have Children, And Are Separating. How Do I Establish Parenting Rights and Child Support Obligations?

If you were not married, but have children, you would begin the process by filing, in the appropriate Court, Parenting Petition, which will include issues such as child support. Like a Petition for Divorce, the Petition must be served upon the other spouse. Again, like a Petition for Divorce, parents can file Joint Parenting Petitions. The filing of a Parenting Petition informs the Court that only issues relating to the children, both parenting rights and responsibilities and financial support, are at issue. As the parents are unmarried, neither alimony nor property division can be heard by the Court.

Posted in FAQ Categories:
Divorce & Family Law

We Are In Association With